Tuesday, September 22, 2009


It used to be that the only thing I was good at was writing and photography.
It seems now I'm no good at either.

Regardless.


-photos from nong tong village on flickr-
IMG_3376

I transferred to North Park with one conviction- to learn about poverty. Since my time there, I've learned about racism, feminism, but not global poverty.
I gave up photography- being behind it made me feel distant, and separate, and like I was stealing from someone. I spent a lot of time questioning what good it did- the only people who're interested in photography of development already have seen the best. To them- a photo's just a photo. For everyone else in the western world- they spend most of their days distracted by their lives, and if they really wanted to know what was going on- it's just a few clicks away. A photo's just a photo to them too.

I get scared when I realize that this is still the only thing I'm "good" at. One- because I'm not that good, two- because photography and journalism don't matter anymore.


.... I gave it all up for this education I wanted at North Park- and I still didn't learn what I wanted to learn.


A friend of mine takes beautiful photographs- so beautiful that I kept thinking one of them was done by a professional photographer. She just has a natural eye.

In all this time, in all my trying- I can't do what she does.


But here I am- a week away from an advertising practicum. Going back to this thing I spent years of my life slaving for and then spent the last 2 years trying to forget- I don't have an idea what I'm doing.

1 comment:

Toni Jean said...

I have a secret... none of us have any idea what we are doing (don't tell anyone, lest we all look like the amateurs that we are).

love