Monday, October 5, 2009

I met Mike Phillips on the TV version of This American Life. He’s in his upper 20’s, and has been living with a spinal disease that has degenerated his motor skills. This episode of TAL has stuck with me so strongly, that it’s sent me into one of my Input strength binges. After downloading a year’s worth of TAL, I scoured their website. It was on their blog feed that I stumbled upon the link to Mike Phillips blog. The first post I saw was entitled Trache Day: Thinking about Tender Branson- , in which he writes about one of my favorite books Survivor, by Chuck Palhanuik. Automatically drawn to him, I aggregated his feed as well. While I haven’t read most of his writing, really only picking and reading the one’s about his tattoos or the TAL episode, I was surprised to see a 2-line post about taking a hiatus from blogging.


Another post followed the next day saying-

I might be a lot of really awful things, but I’m not stupid. I realized that I’d rather write until all four engines flame out than not. Even if everything I have to write is bad, that’s better than absolutely nothing.- Mike Philips


I feel that too. I keep quitting and starting again- hoping to be better this time around.


So here I am, starting again.

---



I couldn't sleep last night, and I'm having a hard time concentrating today.


But I did a few productivity things, like organizing my Google Reader, and finding that one shortcut. Yes- I know I'm that geeky.


Feeling lonely today, and down about my work. Trying not to let that stop me.

No comments: