Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President Elect Barack Obama

My Dad used to always say to me, "Chris, I could never become President. But you, you were born here. You could become President." I used to hate it. I used to feel like he was being bossy and projecting on me.
But it's just like my fear to apply to the UC's when I first graduated. I had internalized that I could never be 'great', that I wasn't smart enough, that I just wasn't good enough to be President.

But last night, watching an immigrant's son become President Elect, and knowing that my little vote helped make that happen, I realized that I am great. And that anything I decide to do, I will be great.

And that by realizing my greatness, I am taking my steps towards who God called me to be and my place in the Kingdom.

And I'm proud to say that I'm doing it at this point in history where Obama is President.

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord." -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.; "I Have Been To the Mountaintop"